The benefits of being a Homestay Host family
- Cultural Exchange: Engage in a rich cultural exchange and learn about new traditions and customs firsthand.
- Global Perspective: Develop a broader understanding of global issues and foster a sense of global citizenship.
- Enriched Family Life: Bring new energy and diversity into the household, creating a vibrant and dynamic atmosphere.
- Language and Cultural Immersion: Improve language skills and gain insights into different dialects and expressions.
- Educational Exposure: Gain firsthand knowledge of different educational systems and learning styles.
- Financial Support: Receive compensation that can help offset living expenses or contribute to savings.
- Lifelong Connections: Develop lasting friendships and a global network of friends.
- Personal Growth: Enhance communication, problem-solving, and cultural understanding skills.
- Positive Impact: Make a significant impact on student’s lives by providing support and guidance.
- Intercultural Understanding: Foster intercultural understanding and promote a more inclusive society.
Become a Homestay Host in the Bay of Plenty, where your warmth and generosity will shape the memories and futures of international students while enriching your own life in immeasurable ways.
Types of Hosting arrangements
There are three different types of hosting arrangements depending on the age of the international student:
- Adult student at a tertiary provider or English language school (over 18 years)
- Teenage student studying short or long-term at a secondary school (under 18 years)
- Young student on a short-term study tour at a primary school (over 10 years)
The Bay of Plenty caters to students with varying lengths of stay. Depending on their country of origin and circumstances, students may choose to stay for a couple of years, a full academic year, six months, or even just one term.
In addition to hosting individual students, we also accommodate large short-term groups during the year. These groups typically stay in the area for a duration of two to three weeks, offering a unique opportunity to showcase the best of our region’s offerings.
As a Homestay Host, you have the flexibility to welcome students with different durations of stay, whether it be for a long-term commitment or a shorter period. Your role remains crucial in providing a supportive and nurturing environment, regardless of the length of their stay.
Want to know more?
// Enquire with an Education Provider about becoming a Homestay Host Family
// Read more questions about becoming a Homestay Host
// Find more host resources.