Things to see and do in Tauranga and surrounding areas
- Cycling or mountain biking along the many trails, including the Te Ara Ahi Cycle Trail.
- Zip-lining and tree canopy tours through the beautiful forests.
- Bungee jumping and skydiving.
- Exploring wildlife sanctuaries and bird reserves.
- Visiting working farms to learn about New Zealand’s farming practices and interact with farm animals.
- Wildlife tours and cruises to observe seals, dolphins, whale watching and marine birds in their natural habitats.
Dining, Cafes & Restaurants
- Taste local and international food at various restaurants and cafes, including waterfront dining.
- Enjoy takeaway (fast food) options with a wide variety of international flavours.
Shopping & Markets
- Exploring boutique shops and shopping centres for unique souvenirs, fashion, and artistic products.
- Attend local market days and themed festivals to find local goods and crafts.
Beach and Water Activities
- Swimming, surfing, and sunbathing at beautiful beaches like Mount Maunganui Beach and Pāpāmoa Beach.
- Kayaking, paddleboarding, and jet skiing in the coastal waters.
- Sport and recreational fishing in rivers and ocean.
- Scenic boat tours.
- Visiting cultural centres like Te Puia and Whakarewarewa Village to learn about Māori culture, traditional performances, and art.
- Attending cultural festivals and events that showcase local customs, music, and dance.
- Exploring Māori historical sites and landmarks, such as Mauao (Mount Maunganui) and Otarawairere Bay.
- Visit local museums and art galleries, such as the Tauranga Art Gallery and the Rotorua Museum.
- Exploring geothermal parks like Wai-O-Tapu and Hell’s Gate to witness geysers, mud pools, and colourful hot springs.
- Hiking and nature walks in scenic areas such as the Kaimai-Mamaku Forest Park and the Whakarewarewa Forest.
- Enjoying natural hot pools and spas for relaxation and rejuvenation, such as the Polynesian Spa in Rotorua.
- Camping in local campgrounds and national parks.
Want to know more?
// Explore Tauranga with Tourism Bay of Plenty
// Find out what’s on in Tauranga
// Find out more about Tauranga, Bay of Plenty.
// Visit the Tauranga Art Gallery
// Learn about accommodation options in Tauranga
// Find out about Tauranga Resources for local and international students.