Homestay accommodation allows international students in Tauranga to live with a local host family. It provides a safe and supportive living experience that allows students to explore the local culture, improve their language skills, and gain a deeper understanding of the community.
The Benefits of homestay accommodation:
- Cultural Immersion: Living with a host family provides students with an authentic cultural experience, allowing them to learn about local customs, traditions, and languages.
- Language Development: Engaging with the host family daily helps students improve their language skills in a real-life setting.
- Support and Guidance: Host families offer a supportive environment, helping students in around the new area, providing advice, and offering emotional support.
- Home-cooked Meals: Homestay accommodations typically include meals the host family prepares, allowing students to taste local cuisine and enjoy nutritious home-cooked food.
- Safety and Security: Living with a host family provides an added sense of security, as families are committed to the well-being and safety of their student guests.
- Compatibility: Students should think about their compatibility with the host family’s lifestyle, preferences, and values to ensure an agreeable living situation.
- Rules and Expectations: Each host family may have specific rules and expectations that students must follow. These may include curfews or household responsibilities. Students and hosts must be clear about these expectations from the beginning.
- Independence and Privacy: Homestay accommodations involve living with a host family. This means students may have less privacy and independence than other accommodation options.
Being a Homestay Host is a rewarding experience for both families and the international students they host. Find out how to become a Homestay Host.
On-campus accommodation provides a convenient and supportive living option for tertiary international students in Tauranga. These accommodations are located within or near educational institutions, offering easy access to campus facilities and promoting a healthy student community.
The Benefits of on-site accommodation:
- Convenience: Living on-campus means being just a short walk away from classrooms, libraries, and other academic resources, saving time and energy.
- Sense of Community: On-campus accommodations allow students to connect with peers from diverse backgrounds, fostering friendships and cultural exchange.
- Support Services: Students can access dedicated support services, such as academic guidance, counselling, and 24/7 assistance, ensuring a smooth transition and support throughout their studies.
- Engaging Campus Life: On-campus accommodations provide chances to join in various student activities, clubs, and events, improving the overall college experience.
- Safety and Security: On-campus accommodations often have security measures in place, ensuring students’ safe and secure living environment.
- Availability: On-campus accommodations may be limited, so applying early to secure a spot is advisable.
- Roommate Assignments: Students may be assigned roommates depending on the type of on-campus accommodation. Good communication with roommates is important to ensure a pleasant living arrangement.
- Meal Plans: Some on-campus accommodations offer meal plans, which can provide convenience for students. However, it is essential to consider dietary preferences and restrictions.
By choosing on-campus accommodation, international students can enjoy the convenience, community, and opportunities for personal and academic growth that come with living on campus.
Off-campus accommodation offers tertiary international students a range of housing options like flatting or renting in Tauranga city and surrounding suburbs. These accommodations provide students with independence and flexibility in their living arrangements.
The Benefits of off-site accommodation:
- Choice and Flexibility: Off-campus accommodations offer various options, including apartments, flats, townhouses, and shared houses, allowing students to select the type of accommodation that suits their preferences and budget.
- Personal Space: Off-campus accommodations provide students with private space, offering more privacy than on-campus options.
- Local Community Integration: Living off-campus allows students to more contact with the local community, experience the city’s culture, and interact with residents outside of the campus environment.
- Greater Independence: Off-campus accommodations allow students to manage their daily routines, cook their own meals and set their own schedule.
- Cost Considerations: Depending on the location and type of off-campus accommodation, it can sometimes be more affordable than on-campus options.
- Commute: Students must consider the distance and transportation options when living off-campus to make sure it is convenient to travel to and from school.
- Budgeting: Off-campus accommodations may require additional costs, such as utilities and transportation expenses. Students should carefully budget for these additional expenses.
- Tenant Responsibilities: Students living off-campus must understand their responsibilities as tenants, including paying rent on time, adhering to lease agreements, and keeping the property in good condition.
Students who choose offsite accommodation can choose from various housing options, experience local community integration, and gain independence.